Sunday 3 August 2014

52 Ancestors: Week 30: Isaac Povey (c.1820 to 1869) Staffordshire, England

Isaac Povey was born about 1820 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England as the first child of William Povey.

When he was 24, he married Keziah Bromley,daughter of Thomas Bromley and Mary Ann Clive, on 8 July 1844 in St Mary, Parish of Handsworth , Handsworth, Staffordshire, England.

At this time he was a Jobbing Smith but by 1851 he was employed as a Blacksmith. By 1864 was employed as a Brassfounder/Iron Forger (Journeyman).

Isaac Povey and Keziah Bromley had the following children:
  • John Povey was born in 1845 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.
  • Sarah Povey was born on 9 April 1847 in Oak Road, West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.
  • William Povey was born about 1850 in West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England.
  • Isaac Povey was born about 1852 in Smethwick, Staffordshire, England.
  • Samuel Povey was born in 1857 in Smethwick, Staffordshire, England.
  • Mary Ann Povey was born on 29 August 1858 in Bearwood Hill, Smethwick, Staffordshire, England.
  • Selina Povey was born on 8 March 1864 in Bearwood Hill, Smethwick, Staffordshire, England. She died on 25 October 1903 in Workhouse Infirmary, Selly Oak, Worcestershire, England.


Isaac died on 7 February 1869 in Bearwood Hill, Smethwick, Staffordshire, England. His cause of death was Phthiris (??) (Certified). At some points his wife is referred to as Maria. It still needs to be established if he had two wives or if people just struggled with Kezia's name.

5 comments:

  1. Isaac and Keziah are also my ancestors. I am the great grandaughter of Sarah, their daughter. Sarah married John Beckett in 1871 in West Bromwich , and they also lived in Bearwood Hill. I also noticed that Keziah was called "Maria" in the 1861 cencus. Perhaps the enumerator was hard of hearing! because I think they were "both" the same person. Thank you for the interesting info. regarding Isaac. Good luck with your family research. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow! Hello Cousin

      Selina Povey is my 2x great grandmother. So does that make me your 3rd cousin 1x removed?

      I have details of the family from George Henry Beckett who I believe had 7 children. The notes on my family tree says information 'from Jean's letter' which I cannot find but you might know who I mean - I think the connection was through Florence. John's parents were William Beckett and Sarah Chettwood if my information is correct. I am in contact (i.e. exchange Christmas Cards) with a descendant from Mary Ann Povey's (Thompson) line. Let me know if you need any information and I will check to see what I have. If you are on Twitter, I am @joynealogy which means we would be able to dm/private message. Sorry it took so long to reply - I changed my settings, or at least I thought I had, so that I would be notified if anyone commented but it doesn't seem to have worked. Thank you so much for leaving a comment, cousin. x

      Delete
  2. Oh I forgot to mention - Selina had a really bad time.

    http://joynealogy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/52-ancestors-week-7-alfred-robert.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joy I am not on Twitter but you can find me on Facebook. Pauline Simpkiss- there is only me with that name on facebook! I would love to hear from you. You can inbox me for privacy. Hope to hear from you soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Isaac Povey was my 4th great-grandfather - related via his daughter Sarah, if my facts are correct. I found my way here from a message from Pauline Simpkiss after a DNA match on myheritage.com. I am mainly using ancestry.com, have just followed you on twitter.

    ReplyDelete