Tuesday 15 March 2016

William Pritchard's Will - Hereford 1839

I ordered the will on Friday and it arrived today - Tuesday.  What a service!  However, for £12 I would have expected a better copy.  The copy is extremely hard to read not because it is old but because it is covered in lines - perhaps from a microfilm or a very old copier.  I would have thought it would have been better to create a new digital copy of the original document when one is requested and use that to send a copy to the customer.  Just because we are family historians and very grateful for any information we can procure about our ancestors we are in fact still customers and should be provided with a better copy.

Anyway, on to the important stuff.  

This is the last will and testament of me William Pritchard of Wye Bridge Street in the city of Hereford, Gentleman, as follows

I give and bequeath all my household Goods and Furniture, Plate, Linen, China and Effects unto my sons in law Thomas Bishop, Thomas Lockett and Francis Barrett their [?] executors administrators and assigns upon Trust to sell and dispose thereof as soon as convenient it may be after my decease and divide the sums into seven shares and pay one seventh part thereof to my Daughter in Law, Eliza Pritchard or in the event of her death in my Lifetime to her Daughter Eliza Job [?], one other seventh part thereof to the said Thomas Bishop, one other seventh part thereof to my Daughter Elizabeth Mitchell, one other seventh part thereof to my Daughter Mary Jennings, one other seventh part thereof to the said Francis Barrett, one other seventh part thereof to my son Edward Pritchard and the remaining seventh part thereof to the children of my late son Thomas Pritchard [something unreadable crossed out]. And I direct that such [?] of the said [?] as are hereinbefore described to be paid to any married woman shall be paid to them [?] for their [?] sole and separate use independent of any husband. And I do truly nominate and appoint the said Thomas Bishop, Thomas Lockett and Francis Barrett to be executors of this my will. In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed and set my hand and seal this Fourteenth day of January 1839.

Wm Pritchard

Signed [????????] presence of [us or me?] Thos ?

[rest is missing off the page] 

No comments:

Post a Comment